Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rollercoaster, ticket for 2 please

We just got home from vacation on the East Coast.  During our 10 days away, we visited Coney Island and took a ride on its historic Cyclone rollercoaster.  

If a roller coaster is the metaphor for TTC journey, the Cyclone is the epitome of TTC's trials and tribulations.  Standing in line, we minimized its difficulty and saw the rickety, wood rollercoaster as quaint.  We'd been on larger coasters with loopty-loops, higher drops and more safety gear.  This would be no sweat.  

Like our impression of TTC, we were Sorely Mistaken.  The Cyclone was an ass-kicking, long and painful journey.   
DH swears he had whiplash.  I felt like I'd been beaten up.  Like IF, the Cyclone's wooden tracks take no prisoners and was really painful.

October is out for IVF/ICSI.  That was quick.  

DH will be out of town at the end of the month, which would coincide with egg retrieval time.  I spoke with the RE's office and they agree October would be difficult.  They could push my cycle by 5-7 days, but that would mean injections alone and DH would return just before retrieval, stressed, jet-lagged and exhausted.

The question: rush a September cycle (start next week) or wait until November.  

September:
Pros: It's right around the corner. 
Cons: It's right around the corner.  We just returned from vacation, where we ate what we wanted, enjoyed wine and cocktails, had caffeine, didn't exercise and didn't sleep enough. I don't feel physically or mentally prepared to start next week. Beta would coincide with my sister's due date - I want to enjoy the arrival of my niece without a possible BFN hanging over me. DH had a long soak in a hot bath on vacation.  We're still jet-lagged. 

November:
Pros:  More time for DH to take fertility vitamins recommended by the RE.  More time for me to get physically and mentally ready for a cycle.  Retrieval would probably fall the day before Thanksgiving.  Egg transfer would likely fall during or right after a 4 day weekend.  
Cons: Beta would be before Xmas/Hanukkah.  We wouldn't be able to plan a trip home for the holidays.  It will be mid-term for DH at school, so he will probably be stressed leading up to egg retrieval.  I'm impatient and had my heart set on October.  

No comments: